Sleeping With Dogs by Jennifer Arnold

by Woof Warrior

Posted on 01/23

post image

Though my favorite nightie proudly proclaims me to be "She Who Sleeps with Dogs," the wisdom of sharing a bed with your dog has been hotly debated the past several years. Concerns about sleep disruption lead many experts to discourage the practice. However, a new study from Salma Patel and her team at the Mayo Clinic has many rethinking this advice. These researchers used movement detectors - known as altimeters - to record the movements, as a measure of sleep efficiency, of dogs and people sharing bed space and those who simply slept in the same bedroom. A measurement over 80% is considered optimal, and while those with dogs in the beds did have a slighter lower score than those whose dogs were merely in the room, they still maintained scores above the 80% mark.

This is great news for more than 60% of us who like having our dogs in the bed. The negative effects appear negligible, and there are numerous positives that come from sleeping with your canine the best friend. Dogs have a higher body temperature, so they act as a natural bed warmers. Having dogs close in the dark of the night can give a sense of security, thus allowing used to relax enough for deep sleep. And further, our bodies secrete the calming, bonding hormone oxytocin when in proximity to our dogs. So do theirs.

The lesson is clear: if you are inclines to snuggle up with your dog at night, do it! It's good for both of you. Just don't be offended if your dog can't stay on the bed all night - their fur coats drive many dogs to seek cooler surfaces at some point during the night. JA

Source:Dog's Eyes

Leave a Comment:

New York, NY

Follow me

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Copyright © 2017, Woof Warrior LLC.